Thursday, December 8, 2011

Spoiling the next generation



We've been on a few trips this year and the kids are starting to think of hotels the way we used to think of McDonalds when we were young - a super special treat that the folks take us to a few times a year. Except that this special treat comes with a pool... and a breakfast bar... and more cable channels... not to mention that when we go on trips, they get McDonalds AND hotels.

Hey, wait a minute, we never had that much fun as a kid! Even when we made our cross country trips every year - my parents did a mad-48-hour-dash across the country without stopping for anything but gas (which, incidentally, was the only time you got a potty break, unless you were Tyler and enjoyed peeing on the side of the road... ) and we never stayed at hotels or swam in pools. And we definitely didn't have portable DVD players and gaming devices.

Guess I will have to add that to the list of all the ways I was picked on as a child. All parents need a list like that, don't they? Stories of deprivation are essential tools for the moral upbringing of your child. Isn't that how we convince the next generation that they are all really spoiled and they just don't realize it?

Now, Mom - don't take this all too much to heart. I am definitely not condemning my own upbringing - I just never lived by that school that was up hill both ways, like you did. And I always had shoes... and it usually didn't snow in blizzards (except that first year in Utah). So, I have to have SOMETHING to show the next generation!

That doesn't convince you? Ok, ok... well, just look at the smiles on these kids faces and forget what I just said...




C'mon... They are adorable! And delighted with their spoiled accommodations!

2 comments:

Dave and Teresa said...

Hear, hear. I remember those trips across the U.S. They were so painstakenly long and cramped in that old station wagon of ours. Although some of us took our boredom out on others, with a hairbrush, we all generally got along quite nicely. Oh, the memories! :)

Woolcott Family said...

Waka waka!